Fluffy Summer Confections…
Placed in charge of desserts, I decided to bake some cupcakes for my Team BBQ. But of course I couldn’t just do a plain cupcake with frosting (that’s not how I roll ;)). I wanted to have some kind of filling and I just came up with this idea walking through the grocery store.
**For approximately 12 cupcakes
– 1-3/4 cups of Cake Flour
– 2 Large Eggs
– 1/4 tsp of Salt
– 1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
– 1 cup of Granulated Sugar
– 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
– 1/2 cup of Milk
– 1/8 tsp of Cream of Tartar
**For approximately 4-6 servings of tapioca pudding (couldn’t find a recipe of smaller portions, so you’ll have a lot left over!)
– 2 cups of Whole Milk
– 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
– 1/8 tsp of Salt
– 1/3 cup of Granulated Sugar
– 2-1/2 tbsp of Minute/Instant Tapioca (Kraft Minute Tapioca works best)
– 1 Large Egg (beaten well)
– 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
(I prepared the pudding one day in advance before making the cupcakes, so I’ll start with the pudding making)
1. In a medium sized saucepan combine the Whole Milk, Heavy Cream, Salt, Granulated Sugar, Tapioca, and Beaten Egg.
2. When the ingredients are combined well let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
3. Place saucepan on medium heat, stir slowly but constantly until mixture comes to a full boil.
4. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the Vanilla Extract.
5. Let the pudding cool in the saucepan for 20 minutes. After pour into a bowl or dish and cover with plastic wrap before placing pudding into the refrigerator overnight.
(Then the day after your pudding will be ready for when you bake the cupcakes!)
6. To make the cupcakes, first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Separate the Egg Yolks and Whites into two different bowls (best to cover with plastic wrap until they come to room temperature before use).
8. In a large bowl, sift together the Flour and Baking Powder. Then add in the Salt and set aside.
9. Use an electric stand/hand mixer to beat the Butter until soft (should take about 1-2 minutes). Then gradually add in the Granulated Sugar and continue beating the butter until soft and fluffy (this may take 2-3 minutes).
10. Add in the Egg Yolks (one at a time) and beat well to combine.
11. Beat in the Vanilla Extract. Then switch mixer to low speed before alternately adding the Flour-Baking Powder-Salt Mixture and Milk (best to do this in 3 additions, beginning and ending with the Flour Mixture).
12. In another bowl, use an electric mixer with whisk attachments to beat the Egg Whites until foamy. Then add the Cream of Tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks.
13. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the Egg Whites into the rest of the batter. DO NOT OVER MIX or the batter will deflate.
14. Line a cupcake pan with paper cups then fill each cup about 1/3 full. In each cup place a spoonful of Tapioca Pudding in the middle of the batter. Then use the rest of the batter to fill each cup evenly (I suggest filling each cup with just enough batter to cover the portion of pudding).
15. Place cupcake pan into the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes until slightly golden top.
16. Allow cupcakes to cool for about 10 minutes before decorating.
17. To finish, I frost the top of each cupcake with French Vanilla Icing (Store-bought because I was too lazy to make my own:P) and drizzle Chocolate/Caramel Sauce in a circular motion. I had a box of Corn Flakes, so I used pieces to form a flower-shape on the center of each cupcake.
Woah…! Just ordinary looking cupcakes with a gooey surprise! Simply delectable and really fun to decorate with whatever you can find in your kitchen;).