So grocery shopping, I noticed shrimp was on sale and I really wanted to eat seafood. When I got to the Seafood Counter at Loblaws… ALL THE SHRIMP WAS GONE! Quite disappointed, but then I notice that the Mussels! Only $4.99 for 1kg (I’m not sure if that’s cheap, but I think that’s quite a good deal) and I also remember watching a cooking video for mussels on Youtube. DONE DEAL!
– 1/2kg of Fresh Mussels in Shell (You can keep uncooked mussels for ~2days)
– 1 White Onion
– 3 Garlic Cloves (Although I used Minced Garlic)
– Knob of Butter (Only a small slice from a Bar of Butter)
-1 Glass of White Wine (I think more or less than a cup, but remember to use a wine that tastes good!)
– 1 Lemon (I just used ~2 tbsp of Bottled Lemon Juice)
– A Handful of Parsley (I didn’t have this so I just used Spring Onion for Color;))
– Heavy Cream (Just a Splash depending on your tastes, you don’t have to add this)
-Black Pepper (to taste)
1. Clean the Mussels; remove the excess bread (the stringy stuff hanging off the shell) and then soak the Mussels in cool water for 10 minutes.
2. Throw away any Mussels that aren’t open or do not open when you tap them (cause their dead!!!!)
3. Dice the White Onion into small pieces.
4. Heat Butter into a deep-dish sauce pan or pot, along with the diced White Onion.
5. When the onions are half-cooked add in the Garlic Cloves (crushed) or Minced Garlic.
6. Pour the White Wine, Lemon Juice and Mussels (remember to drain them first!) into the pot and cover with lid to steam for 2-3 minutes.
7. When the Mussels have opened, lift them out onto a bowl.
8. Add Parsley (I used Spring Onion, just for the color and I like , Black Pepper, and Heavy Cream to the cooking juices in the pan.
9. After stirring the juices, pour over mussels.
This might seem like a complicated dish they serve at fine dine, but it’s actually really easy to cook (I mean even I can make it:D)! Tastes great, especially with a side of pasta or bread.